increasing MAXNFSDCNT

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Mon Jul 6 20:46:53 UTC 2015

Graham Allan wrote:
> Regarding the maximum number of nfs server threads, is increasing the
> "#define MAXNFSDCNT 256" in nfsd.c the only thing needed to try higher
> values?

Oops, my turn to admit that I should have read the man page before answering.
If you have a fairly recent nfsd that supports the "-maxthreads" option, you
can set this and I'm pretty sure you can make it larger than 256.
The system actually dynamically adjusts the # of nfsd kernel threads between
"-minthreads" and "-maxthreads". The "-n" option (which should probably be deprecated)
sets both of these to the same value and is limited to MAXNFSDCNT (256).

If your nfsd doesn't support "-maxthreads", increasing MAXNFSDCNT should work.

rick