A question about ZFS built-in SMB

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 04:57:58 UTC 2015

On Jul 5, 2015 9:49 PM, "Quartz" <quartz at sneakertech.com> wrote:

> On 2015-07-05 12:03 PM, Freddie Cash wrote:
>>
>> SMB support is only built-in on Solaris derivatives. You need Samba on
>> everything else.
>

> On 2015-07-05 5:03 PM, Gary Palmer wrote:
>>
>> The sharesmb option to zfs does not work on FreeBSD.  You need to use
>> Samba.
>

> Ok wait, it IS implemented on the Linux versions of ZFS. I thought the
FreeBSD version of ZFS superseded all the features of the Linux port?

No, actually, it isn't. :) It works in a similar manner to sharenfs on
FreeBSD. You still require a separate NFS server installed, and ask it does
it copy the info to an exports file.

Similar for sharesmb. You still require Samba being installed on Linux. All
the property does is add the filesystem to a separate smb config file (or
something like that; never actually used it on Linux).

You still require the NFS and SMB packages installed for your distro. Same
as you would for any other FS on Linux.

Personally, I don't see the use for either of the share properties in zfs.
Why treat it different than the other FSes on the system? Just edit
exports/smb.conf as per normal.