ZFS Send / Receive Recursively Without Properties

Tim Gustafson tjg at ucsc.edu
Mon Jan 5 21:12:55 UTC 2015

> I've avoided using -F (on the receive) with -RI (on the send), which is what
> I'm guessing you are doing if it is removing snapshots "for you."
>
> So: actually using -R (send), skipping -F (receive; no snapshot removal);
> post-xfer expiration of backup-side snapshots.

I understand, but -R on the send side is also causing the file system
properties to be copied over, which is what I don't want.  In
particular the mount point, but really I don't need any of the
properties copied over.

> Is the -u option of any use to you on the receive? You can receive it
> initially with -u and then set a local mount point property...

I use that to keep the file system from accidentally being mounted as
part of the initial sync operation, but mostly it's a no-op and
harmless.

--

Tim Gustafson
tjg at ucsc.edu