The magic of ZFS and NFS (2nd try)

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Mon Feb 23 23:01:59 UTC 2015

Martin wrote:

> > Russell L. Carter wrote:
> >
> > > Post your /etc/exports, and the nfs*_enable bits of /etc/rc.conf.
> > >  And
> > > as Rainer noted you definitely need to check that uid/gid match
> > > on
> > > both server and client.
> >
> > Pretty boring stuff...
> >
> > root at obelix:~ # cat /etc/exports
> > V4: /usr/archive/Shared         -alldirs -network 192.168.100/24
> >
> > I reduced the shares to one for the time being.

As Martin notes below, the above does not export any file system.
Add a line for /usr/archive/Shared to /etc/exports just like you would
have for UFS and then send a HUP signal (kill -HUP <mountd-pid>) to
make the changes to /etc/exports take effect.
- After this, check for syslog messages, in case the exports syntax
  isn`t correct.

I know nothing about ZFS, but my understanding is that you can do
everything in /etc/exports just like you would for UFS.
(I'm not even sure what ZFS calls a file system, but every line
 you see when you type "mount" with no arguments is a file system
 as far as FreeBSD is concerned.)
Every file system you want to access from client(s) must have an
line in exports (or in the ZFS stuff if you choose to do it that way).

The only difference for NFSv4 is that the client(s) don`t have to
do separate mounts for each file system, but they all must be
exported to the client(s).

Hope this helps, rick
ps: You only have one V4: line because there is only one place
    in the server`s directory tree that can be a root for NFSv4.