The magic of ZFS and NFS (2nd try)

Christian Baer christian.baer at uni-dortmund.de
Mon Feb 23 12:31:21 UTC 2015

Rainer Duffner wrote:

> These lines get written into /etc/zfs/exports
>
> I like it that way because if a filesystem is destroyed, I don’t have to
> remember removing it from /etc/exports.
>
> I also admit I’m heavily influenced by Solaris on this particular setting…

I didn't come from Solaris and I wasn't a big fan of it during my time at
university. It wasn't the really a problem with the OS itself but with the
userland which really sucked rocks at the time. We are talking SunOS 5.8
here.

I am guessing that in the future, ZFS will be far more important and UFS
will become more and more exotic. Then it would be fine to config everything
the ZFS-way. But currently, it seems pretty dumb to have to go through a
case list like:

case
  fs ==  ZFS then /etc/zfs/exports
  fs ==  $EXOTIC_OTHER_FS then goto whereever
else goto /etc/exports

Couldn't help myself with the gotos there. :-D

On the other hand, if you can configure the same thing in a number of files,
chaos is predestined. That is one machine I would not want to take care of.

Regards,
Christian