The magic of ZFS and NFS (2nd try)

Jordan Hubbard jkh at ixsystems.com
Sat Feb 21 18:23:08 UTC 2015

> On Feb 21, 2015, at 9:36 AM, Christian Baer <christian.baer at uni-dortmund.de> wrote:
>
> But why shouldn't I use /etc/exports? I have read people writing this (don't
> use /etc/exports) in forums when searching for answers, however the current
> manpage for zfs says this:

FreeNAS has more experience with sharing things from ZFS than anyone else in the BSD community (that’s not hyperbole, it’s simply fact).  We don’t use any of the zfs sharing flags.  Those were intended more for Solaris (sharesmb, for example - FreeBSD lets you do that, but what does it *mean* when you don’t have a native CIFS service?).   FreeBSD has never integrated ZFS’s notion of sharing or, for that matter, a number of other things like drive hot sparing and automatic replacement, and you’re seeing the results of ZFS’s solaris roots still not lining up 100% with their new FreeBSD home.  That’s all.

I would simplify things, just as FreeNAS has (for good reasons), and simply have ZFS be “a filesystem” from FreeBSD’s perspective and share it just as you would UFS.

- Jordan