The magic of ZFS and NFS (2nd try)

Russell L. Carter rcarter at pinyon.org
Fri Feb 20 21:17:26 UTC 2015

On 02/20/15 12:11, Christian Baer wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I've already asked this question (basically) in the questions list, but I
> didn't get anything that really helped me along. I am hoping to get a little
> further on this list.
>
> Using my search engines, I have found out that exporting a ZFS is a by
> picky. However I have found no general rules of what to do - yet.
>
> My file server is called obelix, my workstation falbala. Feel free to make
> fun of that fact. :-)
>
> obelix boots from an SSD. There is a raidz2 configured with 7 HDDs, mounted
> under /zfs/arc1. This is the main (basic, root) mount point of the ZFS pool
> and it is pretty much empty. There are other tanks I have defined and they
> are under /usr/archive/. The directory /usr/archive/ is of course still part
> of the SSD.
>
> When I set /usr/archive as an export in /etc/exports, I can mount that from
> falabala. I see all the subdirectories too - each of these are ZFS tanks.
> However, I cannot access the contents of the tanks. I've played around here
> a bit and there are two things that can happen:
>
> 1. I can dive into the directories but they look empty from falbala.
> 2. Access to the directories is refused completely.
>
> I don't remember what I did to get each of these results, so please don't
> ask. :-)
>
> Ok, so I read that I cannot export all ZFS mounts together like this and
> have to create an export for each seperately. Fine with me. :-)

> So I created and export to /usr/archive/shared which is the mount point of a
> ZFS tank. But if I try to mount that via NFS from falbala, the connection is
> denied completely. This is logged in /var/log/messages on obelix - without
> any reason however.
>
> Now it might be that I am just to dumb to understand the works of NFS and
> ZFS or I am just missing a piece of the puzzle. Can someone please give me a
> push, please?

Post your /etc/exports, and the nfs*_enable bits of /etc/rc.conf.  And
as Rainer noted you definitely need to check that uid/gid match on
both server and client.

You can quickly check that sharenfs=on via mount:

root at terpsichore> mount | grep NFS
system/export on /export (zfs, NFS exported, local, nfsv4acls)
system/export/library on /export/library (zfs, NFS exported, local,
nfsv4acls)
system/export/usr on /export/usr (zfs, NFS exported, local, nfsv4acls)
system/export/usr/obj on /export/usr/obj (zfs, NFS exported, local,
nfsv4acls)
system/export/usr/src on /export/usr/src (zfs, NFS exported, local,
nfsv4acls)
ssd1/poudriere/ports/default on /ssd1/poudriere/ports/default (zfs, NFS
exported, local, nfsv4acls)
system/usr/ports on /usr/ports (zfs, NFS exported, local, nosuid, nfsv4acls)
system/usr/ports/distfiles on /usr/ports/distfiles (zfs, NFS exported,
local, nosuid, nfsv4acls)
/raid/library on /export/library (nullfs, NFS exported, local, nfsv4acls)
/ssd1/poudriere/data/packages/stable-amd64-default on /export/packages
(nullfs, NFS exported, local, nfsv4acls)

Russell