The magic of ZFS and NFS (2nd try)

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Fri Feb 20 19:35:11 UTC 2015

> Am 20.02.2015 um 20:11 schrieb Christian Baer <christian.baer at uni-dortmund.de>:
>
> Hi everyone!
>
> I've already asked this question (basically) in the questions list, but I
> didn't get anything that really helped me along. I am hoping to get a little
> further on this list.
>
> Using my search engines, I have found out that exporting a ZFS is a by
> picky. However I have found no general rules of what to do - yet.
>
> My file server is called obelix, my workstation falbala. Feel free to make
> fun of that fact. :-)
>
> obelix boots from an SSD. There is a raidz2 configured with 7 HDDs, mounted
> under /zfs/arc1. This is the main (basic, root) mount point of the ZFS pool
> and it is pretty much empty. There are other tanks I have defined and they
> are under /usr/archive/. The directory /usr/archive/ is of course still part
> of the SSD.
>
> When I set /usr/archive as an export in /etc/exports, I can mount that from
> falabala. I see all the subdirectories too - each of these are ZFS tanks.
> However, I cannot access the contents of the tanks. I've played around here
> a bit and there are two things that can happen:
>
> 1. I can dive into the directories but they look empty from falbala.
> 2. Access to the directories is refused completely.
>
> I don't remember what I did to get each of these results, so please don't
> ask. :-)
>
> Ok, so I read that I cannot export all ZFS mounts together like this and
> have to create an export for each seperately. Fine with me. :-)
>
> So I created and export to /usr/archive/shared which is the mount point of a
> ZFS tank. But if I try to mount that via NFS from falbala, the connection is
> denied completely. This is logged in /var/log/messages on obelix - without
> any reason however.
>
> Now it might be that I am just to dumb to understand the works of NFS and
> ZFS or I am just missing a piece of the puzzle. Can someone please give me a
> push, please?

You must use the syntax of exports(5) also with zfs set sharenfs=
AFAIK, you shouldn’t use /etc/exports to do zfs exports but the above command

If your hosts you export to are in your nfs-server’s /etc/hosts, you will need to use the names they resolve to also in the exports-statement.
(Though that might be wrong - it was the case with Solaris, though).

uids/gids should match, too, of course.

Rainer