ZVOL and snapshots length problem

Ivailo A. Tanusheff ITanusheff at postbank.bg
Fri Feb 20 13:34:44 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I have some trouble creating and manipulating ZVOL on my server. I am using FreeBSD 10 and I am creating a little bit sophisticated structure, where I create several file systems and volumes inside them for easy manipulation and snapshot management.
An example structure is:
<POOL> / <General type of system> / <Application System name, if any> / <Server name> / <Volume name>

Whenever my ZVOL path exceeds 63 characters, both when creating volume or snapshot,  I receive this error in my messages log:
Feb 20 13:05:04 FreeBSD kernel: g_dev_taste: make_dev_p() failed (gp->name=zvol/TANK/Bank system/Core/DB at Daily_operations_2015-02-20-13:05, error=22)
Feb 20 13:05:04 FreeBSD kernel: g_dev_taste: make_dev_p() failed (gp->name=zvol/TANK/Bank system/Core/FS at Daily_operations_2015-02-20-13:05, error=22)
Feb 20 13:05:05 FreeBSD kernel: g_dev_taste: make_dev_p() failed (gp->name=zvol/TANK/Bank system/Core/Report at Daily_operations_2015-02-20-13:05, error=63)

Feb 20 13:10:05 FreeBSD kernel: g_dev_taste: make_dev_p() failed (gp->name=zvol/TANK/Bank system/Core/DB at Daily_operations_2015-02-20-13:10, error=22)
Feb 20 13:10:05 FreeBSD kernel: g_dev_taste: make_dev_p() failed (gp->name=zvol/TANK/Bank system/Core/FS at Daily_operations_2015-02-20-13:10, error=22)
Feb 20 13:10:05 FreeBSD kernel: g_dev_taste: make_dev_p() failed (gp->name=zvol/TANK/Bank system/Core/Report at Daily_operations_2015-02-20-13:10, error=63)

As far as I digged into it this is due to impossibility of creation  of /dev/zvol/... pointing to that volume or snapshot, while the volume/snapshot is still visible in the zfs list tree, although I am not quite sure I can use it.

Is there any way to fix this behavior or this is an implementation bug, not described in the manual?
If I create shorter names the problem disappears, but this is contra version of what I needed, so it is a not acceptable solution.

Regards,

Ivailo Tanusheff
Head of Demand and Project management department
Information Technologies Division

Disclaimer:

This communication is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication by mistake, please notify us immediately by responding to this email and then delete it from your system.
Eurobank Bulgaria AD is not responsible for, nor endorses, any opinion, recommendation, conclusion, solicitation, offer or agreement or any information contained in this communication.
Eurobank Bulgaria AD cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message as it has been transmitted over a public network. If you suspect that the message may have been intercepted or amended, please call the sender.