Migrating ZFS from 8.3 to 10.1

javocado javocado at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 22:19:16 UTC 2015

Thank you for that info.

A couple more questions...

So would this sequence go like this?:

freebsd 8.3# zpool export tank

(shut down)

(replace boot device with new device pre-loaded with 10.1)

(boot up to 10.1)

freebsd 10.1# zpool upgrade tank
freebsd 10.1# zpool import tank

And that command should complete quickly, regardless of the size of the
pool, number of inodes, etc, correct?

Next, we would want to consider what's involved with upgrading the zfs
filesystems. We have many filesystems (~500-1000) with 40-70 TB of data
(pool just under 100 TB in size) with thousands of snapshots (evenly spread
amongst the filesystems), and some filesystems are very dense with millions
of inodes.

- What are the advantages, disadvantages, pitfalls and caveats to be aware
of here? We know that the filesystems will no longer be readable by older
systems. Is there anything else?

- We wonder if the time it will take to upgrade all these is substantial-
i.e. will the upgrade parse through all this data in each filesystem or
just flip a few switches in each filesystem, completing quickly?

- Any impact on the (old) snapshots already in place? Any issues with
having a mix of old and new (post upgrade) snapshots in a filesystem?