FreeBSD/ZFS on [HEAD] chews up memory

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Apr 9 13:29:36 UTC 2015

On Thu, 9 Apr 2015, grarpamp wrote:

>> RAM amount might matter too. 12GB vs 32GB is a bit of a difference.
>
> Allow me to bitch hypothetically...
>
> We, and I, get that some FS need memory, just like kernel and
> userspace need memory to function. But to be honest, things
> should fail or slow gracefully. Why in the world, regardless of
> directory size, should I ever need to feed ZFS 10GB of RAM?

>From my reading of this list in the past month or so, I have seen
other complaints about memory usage, but also regarding UFS and NFS
and not just ZFS.  One is lead to think that the way the system uses
memory for filesystems has changed.

As others have said, ZFS ARC should automatically diminish, but
perhaps ZFS ARC is not responsible for the observed memory issues.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn