ndmp server.

Nikolai Lifanov lifanov at mail.lifanov.com
Mon Apr 6 13:21:59 UTC 2015

On 04/05/15 08:00, freebsd-fs-request at freebsd.org wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I saw at wiki[1], there is a project idea to have an NDMP data server.
>
> I have something workable based on Illumos implementation[2], it doesn't
> implement all features that Illumos version has. Also the protocol version
> is 4 and not the new one 5. I can do a backup/restore between two FreeBSD
> machines via NDMP with success. Also is necessary port or create another
> tools such like this one on Illumos[3], I have a very simple python script
> to setup it now.
>
> It needs more polishment on the code and a man page, as well as maybe the
> ndmpadm or something based on it. I'm wondering, if someone still has
> interesting on it, because with zfs send/recv I don't see too much utility
> for NDMP. Even a rsync can do the job.
>
> If you guys think, that have NDMP, at least the server on FreeBSD would be
> a good idea, let me know, and I can put some effort on it and I can provide
> a patch soon for tests.
>
> [1] https://wiki.freebsd.org/IdeasPage#NDMP_data_server
> [2] https://github.com/joyent/illumos-joyent/tree/master/usr/src/cmd/ndmpd
> [3] https://github.com/joyent/illumos-joyent/tree/master/usr/src/cmd/ndmpadm
>

> Best Regards,

Please do! There is a sore lack of options to restore an NDMP backup on
an open source system. This is also the only vendor-neutral interface to
get a consistent backup quickly from Ontap, Fishworks, or other
enterprise filers.

I would personally find both the server and the client very, very useful.

- Nikolai Lifanov