NFSD high CPU usage

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Thu Apr 2 02:28:17 UTC 2015

Adam Guimont wrote:
> [...]
>
> For what it's worth, this is how I've been monitoring the TCP buffer
> queues where "xx.xxx.xx.xxx" is the IP address of the NFS server:
>
> cmdwatch -n1 'netstat -an | grep -e "Proto" -e "tcp4" | grep -e
> "Proto"
> -e "xx.xxx.xx.xxx.2049"'
>
> I have tried several tuning recommendations but it has not solved the
> problem.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this and is anyone else able to reproduce
> it?
>
> ---
> NFS server specs:
>
> OS = FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE
> CPU = E5-1650 v3
> Memory = 96GB
> Disks = 24x ST6000NM0034 in 4x raidz2
> HBA = LSI SAS 9300-8i
> NIC = Intel 10Gb X540-T2
> ---
> /boot/loader.conf
>
> autoboot_delay="3"
> geom_mirror_load="YES"
> mpslsi3_load="YES"
> cc_htcp_load="YES"
> ---
> /etc/rc.conf
>
> hostname="***"
> ifconfig_ix0="inet *** netmask 255.255.248.0 -tso -vlanhwtso"
> defaultrouter="***"
> sshd_enable="YES"
> ntpd_enable="YES"
> zfs_enable="YES"
> sendmail_enable="NO"
> nfs_server_enable="YES"
> nfs_server_flags="-h *** -t -n 128"
> nfs_client_enable="YES"
> rpcbind_enable="YES"
> rpc_lockd_enable="YES"
> rpc_statd_enable="YES"
> samba_enable="YES"
> atop_enable="YES"
> atop_interval="5"
> zabbix_agentd_enable="YES"
> ---
> /etc/sysctl.conf
>
> vfs.nfsd.server_min_nfsvers=3
> vfs.nfsd.cachetcp=0
> kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=16777216
> net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_max=16777216
> net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_max=16777216
> net.inet.tcp.sendspace=1048576
> net.inet.tcp.recvspace=1048576
> net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_inc=32768
> net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_inc=65536
> net.inet.tcp.keepidle=10000
> net.inet.tcp.keepintvl=2500
> net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive=1
> net.inet.tcp.cc.algorithm=htcp
> net.inet.tcp.cc.htcp.adaptive_backoff=1
> net.inet.tcp.cc.htcp.rtt_scaling=1
> net.inet.tcp.sack.enable=0
> kern.ipc.soacceptqueue=1024
> net.inet.tcp.mssdflt=1460
> net.inet.tcp.minmss=1300
> net.inet.tcp.tso=0
> ---
> Client workstations:
>
> OS = CentOS 6.6 x64
> Mount options from `cat /proc/mounts` =
> rw,nosuid,noatime,vers=3,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=***,mountvers=3,mountport=916,mountproto=udp,local_lock=none,addr=***

I can think of two explanations for this.
1 - The server nfsd threads get confused when the TCP recv Q fills
    and start looping around.
OR
2 - The client is sending massive #s of RPCs (or crap that is
    incomplete RPCs).

To get a better idea w.r.t. what is going on, I'd suggest that
you capture packets (for a relatively short period) when the
server is 100% CPU busy.
# tcpdump -s 0 -w out.pcap host <nfs-client>
- run on the server should do it.
Then look at out.pcap in wireshark and see what the packets
look like. (wireshark understands NFS, whereas tcpdump doesn't)
If #1, I'd guess very little traffic (maybe TCP layer stuff),
if #2, I'd guess you'll see a lot of RPC requests or garbage
that isn't a valid request. (This latter case would suggest a
CentOS problem.)

If you capture the packets but can't look at them in wireshark,
you could email me the packet capture as an attachment and I
can look at it after Apr. 10, when I get home.

rick