iscsi_initiator.ko failure on 10.0 snapshot

Edward Tomasz Napierała trasz at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 12 07:18:31 UTC 2014

On 0911T1620, Michael Dexter wrote:

> Hello,
> >I am attempting to load the iscsi_initiator.ko kernel module on the
> >FreeBSD-10.1-PRERELEASE-amd64-20140907-r271243-memstick.img snapshot and
> >get an error with the following in /var/log/messages:
> >
> >... kernel: >>> iscsi_start: iscsi_initiator: make_dev_credf failed
> >... kernel: module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (iscsi_initiator,
> >0xffffffff82e43000, 0) error 17
>
> I have found that this error appears if one loads iscsi.ko before
> iscsi_initiator.ko. After the error, iscsi.ko appears to be loaded
> but not usable. Unloading iscsi.ko will allow iscsi_initiator.ko to
> load but trying iscsi.ko will result in the error.
>
> Both appear to create /dev/iscsi when loaded
>
> Is this the expected behavior?

The fact that both use the same device node is expected, yes.  Two
other things you've mentioned are not, though: the fact that iscsi.ko
ends up being not usable, and ctld panics.

Can you show the exact command sequence that leads to the first
problem, ie iscsi.ko being unusable, even though it's loaded?

Do you have a backtrace for ctld panics?

Thanks!