pefs doesn't work as regular user

Russell L. Carter rcarter at pinyon.org
Sat Sep 6 21:40:28 UTC 2014

Greetings,
So this is odd.  I followed the instructions at

http://www.bsdnow.tv/tutorials/pefs

on one system, and as a regular user it works fine.

But I try it on my laptop, and I get the following:

rcarter at knuth> kldstat -m pefs
Id  Refs Name
 27    1 pefs
rcarter at knuth> mkdir ~/docs
rcarter at knuth> pefs addchain -f -Z ~/docs
Enter parent key passphrase:
Reenter parent key passphrase:
rcarter at knuth> pefs mount ~/docs ~/docs
pefs mount: /home/rcarter/docs: Operation not permitted
rcarter at knuth> sudo pefs mount ~/docs ~/docs
rcarter at knuth> pefs unmount ~/docs
pefs unmount: unmount of /usr/home/rcarter/docs failed: Operation not
permitted
rcarter at knuth> sudo pefs unmount ~/docs
rcarter at knuth> /bin/rm -rf ~/docs
rcarter at knuth>

So it works as root but not as $USER.  I don't see anything different
about /etc/group on either system.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Russell