zfs send -R not replicating holds

Borja Marcos borjam at sarenet.es
Thu Oct 9 09:22:54 UTC 2014

Hello,

I've noticed that a zfs send -R does not actually replicate holds which is, in my opinion, surprising in the wrong way, as the
manual for "zfs send" says:

"-R            Generate a replication stream package, which will replicate
                 the specified filesystem, and all descendent file systems, up
                 to the named snapshot. When received, all properties, snap-
                 shots, descendent file systems, and clones are preserved."

Reading that I would assume that a hold is a kind of property (unless of course we limit
the definition of "property" strictly to the properties handled by "zfs get/set").

I am playing with ZFS dataset replication and holds seem like an ideal way to mark snapshots
for preservation (for example, in a "time machine" style). In that case, it would be great if the
process of replicating a snapshot to a backup server and marking it with a hold was atomic rather
than doing the replication and applying the relevant holds later.

Is there any provision for this, is it an oversight or is there any reason I am missing not to do it
that way? (apart from possible zfs send stream format incompatibilities)

Borja.