Mirrored SSDs for ZIL/SLOG - safety, flushing, capacitors

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Oct 6 00:10:10 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014, javocado wrote:

> I'm setting up a SLOG to improve performance on my ZFS-based fileserver. I
> plan to use 2 mirrored SSD's to create the log device. Before I continue,
> I have some specific questions how to approach which hardware to use.
>
> Primarily, I'm concerned with what damage/corruption may occur when there's
> a power loss.

The damage/corruption which might occur due to power loss is primarily
dependent on the drive firmware.  If the firmware does persist the
write then it says it does, then it is not necessary to have a
supercap and there is no loss of data.  However, peristing the write
can be rather slow (and tends to reduce drive lifetime) so SSD
firmware often claims to have written the data and defers the write
for a while in the hope of having more data to write at once.  If the
write is deferred, then data will be lost without a supercap.  To make
matters worse, the drive might not write the data to FLASH in the
order requested and so the data on the drive might not be usefully
coherent when power returns.

A really poor drive will corrupt the data, and might even corrupt data
not directly involved in the write requests because the erasure-block
size is much larger than the data block size, and because the firmware
might decide to move some data around in the background and presumed
written data may be left in an inconsistent state.

> 2. should I only use SSDs with capacitors? does anyone recommend any? I'm
> seeing good things about the Intel s3500

The Intel S3700 would be a better choice for this application since it
is optimized for writes.

> 4. flushing: does anyone know if (and which) SSDs are respecting and
> flushing data to media when told?

Likely few do.  Unless the vendor specification claims to do so, it is
best to assume that they do not.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn