unsupported feature: com.delfix and can't find pool by guid after old STABLE10.0-to-RELENG10.0 upgrade

Mark Felder feld at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 11 14:23:18 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 02:10, Zeus Panchenko wrote:
> Xin Li <delphij at delphij.net> wrote:
> > > So, is there any way to fix that and what is it at all? Is it
> > > because of switching from stable to releng?  I'm giving up in
> > > attempts to revive it ...
> >
> > Yes!  For now you can use a FreeBSD 10.1-RC4 disc to boot and rescue
> > your system.
>
> may you be moe specific, please
>
> what can I do? just to boot from FreeBSD 10.1-RC4 or I can fix the system
> somehow?
>
> > If you would not mind to wait for a few more days -- we will have
> > 10.1-RELEASE really soon.
>
> do you mind to boot from 10.1-RELEASE and rebuild world?

All you should need to do is boot FreeBSD 10.1-RC4 and apply the newer
bootcode and put the newer kernel on the system.

If this is a zfs-on-root install you may have problems with importing
the zpool and getting access to your data. I would advice you import the
zpool with the -N option

         -N      Import the pool without mounting any file systems.

This will prevent it from automatically mounting filesytems on top of
the LiveCD OS you're booted into and causing major problems.

After you've done this, change your /boot filesystem to somewhere
new/accessbile that won't conflict with the running OS and copy in the
kernel. The process will look something like this:

  zpool import -N tank
  zfs set mountpoint=/newboot /tank/boot
  zfs mount /tank/boot
  mv /newboot/kernel /newboot/kernel.old
  cp -R /boot/kernel /tank/boot/
  zfs umount /tank/boot
  zfs set mountpoint=/boot tank/boot
  gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0
  reboot

Good luck!