RFC: How to fix the NFS/iSCSI vs TSO problem

Jordan Hubbard jkh at mail.turbofuzz.com
Mon Mar 31 11:26:17 UTC 2014

On Mar 31, 2014, at 8:53 AM, Marcelo Araujo <araujobsdport at gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand your concern about add more one sysctl, however maybe we can
> do something like ZFS does, if it detect the system is AMD and have more
> than X of RAM it enables some options by default, or a kind of warning can
> be displayed show the new sysctl option.
>
> Of, course other people opinion will be very welcome.

Why not simply enable (conditionally compile) it in only for the x64 architecture?   If you’re on a 64 bit Intel architecture machine, chances are pretty good you’re also running hardware of reasonable recent vintage and aren’t significantly HW constrained.

I think it’s also fair to say that if you’re providing NFS or iSCSI services on an i386 with 512M of memory or a similarly endowed ARM or PPC system, performance is not your first and primary concern.  You’re simply happy that it works at all. ;-)

- Jordan