Issue with vn_open(), help me please

Victor Sneider v.sneider at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 00:36:03 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I used kern_openat()/fget/fo_read() to open and read a text files inside kernel.

When I load it as a kernel module, the module works fine and do its job.

When I compiled it into kernel, it crash in kern_openat(), more precisely, in vn_open(). I used call_out() to defer reading the file and wait for the rootfs mount completes. I set the timeout long enough (5 min, for example) but it still crashes.

I googled a lot but have not found any report about this issue. I am not an expert about file reading/writing inside kernel but I feel this could be a bug in vn_open().

Please help me.

Thank you.

V.Sneider.