mdconfig via rc.conf

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 5 05:45:00 UTC 2014

aurfalien <aurfalien at gmail.com> wrote
  in <B9EE914F-5B33-4063-AAA6-916624DECD11 at gmail.com>:

au> On Mar 4, 2014, at 9:19 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
au>
au> > On Tue, 4 Mar 2014, aurfalien wrote:
au> >
au> >> Hi,
au> >>
au> >> Apology for the cross post as I asked in the general questions list and also if this is not an appropriate question.
au> >>
au> >> But are there any other parameters I would need to setup a ram disk at boot time?
au> >>
au> >> I have this in my rc.conf;
au> >>
au> >> mdconfig_md100=?-t malloc -s 12G?
au> >
au> > rc.conf is sourced, but not the place for code.
au> >
au> >> I?ve opted not to mount or format it for now.
au> >>
au> >> But upon boot, I do not see the md100 device.
au> >>
au> >> Is there anything I need in rc.conf to enable this?
au> >
au> > It depends on the version of FreeBSD.  On FreeBSD 10, it's easy to do with an entry in /etc/fstab, see fstab(5).  For earlier versions, I'm not sure of the best way.  There's /etc/rc.local, but may be more automated ways in the other rc scripts.
au>
au> Many thanks for the reply.
au>
au> What led me to rc.conf was this;
au>
au> http://ryanbowlby.com/2009/09/30/freebsd-ramdisk-mdconfig/
au>
au> I’m using FreebSD 9 and would need it to load very early on in the boot process but not be mounted.

 mdconfig_md* have to always start from 0.  An arbitrary value such as
 100 cannot be used.

-- Hiroki