ZFS pool permanent error question -- errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files: storage: <0x0>

Andrew Berg aberg010 at my.hennepintech.edu
Sun Jun 15 22:24:29 UTC 2014

On 2014.06.15 16:10, kpneal at pobox.com wrote:
> It looks like you are running ZFS with pools consisting of a single disk.
> In cases like this if ZFS detects that a file has been corrupted ZFS is
> unable to do anything to fix it. Run with the option "copies=2" to have
> two copies of every file if you want ZFS to be able to fix broken files.
> Of course, this doubles the amount of space you will use, so you have to
> think about how important your data is to you.
A proper mirror with another disk would protect against disk failure and
give better performance with the same space cost, so doing that is
recommended over using copies=2.

> Running ZFS in a partition or on the entire disk is fine either way. But
> you have to be consistent. Partitioning a disk and then writing outside
> of the partition creates errors like the above GEOM one.
I recommend using a partition solely to take advantage of GPT labels.
Identifying disks is much easier when you create a pool using devices
from labels (/dev/gpt/yourlabel). Even more so if you have a matching
physical label on the disk.