fdisk(8) vs gpart(8), and gnop

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 17:12:52 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Felder" <feld at freebsd.org>

> On 2014-06-02 10:02, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>>
>> My bigger concern is this pool upgrade one -- what if someone puts in
>> a 4K disk in the future?
>
> This is a concern of mine, and I sort of wish we did 4k by default and
> forced people to override if they want 512b or something else.

That is exactly why we enforce min 4k everywhere here too, but its not
for everyone which is why I stuck to 512b default when I added it.

I guess the big question is:

Is future compatibility vs performance the right way to go for the default
as those what want the absolute best performance could always reduce the
value prior to creating / added top level vdevs?

    Regards
    Steve