FreeBSD support being added to GlusterFS

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at freebsd.org
Sun Jul 6 23:09:16 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 06, 2014 at 12:13:15PM -0700, Harshavardhana wrote:

> > I can make the /usr/local/var/log/glusterfs directory and it gets much further.   That said, is there some special configure flags we should be passing in our version of the port to properly stuff glusterfs into /var instead?  Your email tends to imply that we should be passing —localstatedir, which we can certainly do no problem, I’m just wondering if that’s your long-term plan.  Again, this is our port:  https://github.com/freenas/ports/tree/freenas/9-stable/sysutils/glusterfs
> >
> > The fundamental issue with /usr/local is, again, that /usr/local is read-only on FreeNAS.  If there are configuration files that glusterfs expects to be modifiable, they can’t live anywhere in /usr/local, nor of course can any temporary files or log files.  We have made special provisions for /etc and /var such that those can be modified, so we basically just need to compile gluster as a “system service” and put it in the system directories (e.g. prefix is /, not /usr/local).
> >

> Ah now i get it - "/usr/local" is not a requirement for "GlusterFS" it
> is a baggage of using "autotools" when during ./configure if you do
> not specify --prefix - so for a standard installation under RPM it is
> usually the following flags are used
>
> # ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
> --libdir=/usr/lib64
>
> Since FreeBSD doesn't need "/usr/lib64" you could just use for packages
>
> # ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var

Here is an updated version of my port
http://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/glusterfs.diff

This time it passes poudriere (for those not aware of poudriere it is for
FreeBSD a bit like what mock is for fedora but on steroid :))

What is new in there: dependency on bison that I missed the first time, a
dependency on libexecinfo (on non FreeBSD 10) and a build dependency on git
other build-aux/pkg-version is not happily catching the version

Tested on FreeBSD 10

regards,
Bapt