replaced da devices not being detected

Graham Allan allan at physics.umn.edu
Thu Jul 3 20:37:57 UTC 2014

Running a FreeBSD 9.1 server with four attached Supermicro SAS JBODs, 45
drives in each. Sometimes when we replace a drive due to failure, the
new drive isn't detected. At that point we can swap the drive in and out
or between vacant slots with nothing appearing in dmesg or other logs.
But we know the drive is working because it is detected by the chassis
if queried with sg3utils. No effect from "camcontrol rescan" etc,
either. Rebooting the server does result in the drive being detected but
obviously this isn't a desirable way to fix it.

It does seem to me like we get to replace some number of drives without
incident, then after some point no new da devices are detected.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this, or if there are any sysctls
which might affect it or other ways to tickle the system into behaving
as expected.

Thanks for any advice,

Graham