ZFS snapshot renames failing after upgrade to 9.2

Gerrit Kühn gerrit.kuehn at aei.mpg.de
Wed Jan 22 08:53:01 UTC 2014

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 14:37:32 +1300 Matt Magoffin <matt at msqr.us> wrote
about Re: ZFS snapshot renames failing after upgrade to 9.2:

MM> I missed the continuation of this thread, but wanted to add in that
MM> this still happens for me (snapshot renames lead to unusable
MM> snapshots).

Well, I guess there was no continuation so far. On the 9.2-system under
question, I changed the backup/snapshot scheme to use the dates in the
names instead of doing logrotate stuff (using sysutils/zfs-periodic instead
of sysutils/freebsd-snapshot) to circumvent the issue.

MM> I recently updated to 9.2-p3, and after restarting the system my
MM> scripts were able to rename the existing snapshots as expected, but
MM> only one time. When my backup script attempted to rename the new
MM> snapshot and the older ones during its second run since the restart,
MM> it failed and ended up in the unusable state.

I have the feeling that the issue depends on wether the snapshot was used
before, is still mounted or something like that. I think when I had just
the snapshots running (without the backup jobs), I did not see this (but
I may be wrong with this).

MM> As for 9.1, I never had this problem in 9.1. It only started happening
MM> for me after updating to 9.2.

Indeed, in 9.1 this was fine. Maybe we should file a proper bug report for
this?

cu
  Gerrit