ZFS and Wired memory, again

Anton Sayetsky vsjcfm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 18:31:52 UTC 2014

>> +1 from me, FreeBSD 10, uma=0
>>
>> 52 processes:  2 running, 49 sleeping, 1 zombie
>> CPU:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.4% interrupt, 99.6% idle
>> Mem: 31M Active, 16K Inact, 3352M Wired, 17M Cache, 48M Free
>> ARC: 1838M Total, 110M MFU, 18M MRU, 548K Anon, 1876M Header, 75M Other
>> Swap: 4096M Total, 126M Used, 3969M Free, 3% Inuse
>>
>> Machine is plain dead. Running database or squid or anything causes
>> excessive swapping. This is the state when I disabled all payload, with
>> everything started swap goes to 500M and machine is burning disks.
>>

> I wonder do you use any zfs tuning? Like max arc size? Wonder if setting
> that to a reasonable amount would help.
Please read carefully my first message. No any tuning (configs
posted), and problem is not that ZFS uses big amount of memory. I'm
experiencing exactly one problem - Wired mem is significantly larger
than ARC.
E.g. if my ARC size is 2048M, I'm expecting that Wired will not
consume more than ARC+~150M.