UFS(2) portable driver for other OS

Pedro Giffuni pfg at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 1 18:01:53 UTC 2014

On 01/02/2014 10:32, CeDeROM wrote:
> Hello Pedro :-)
>
> I was thinking about making UFS multiplatform with a BSD licensed code,
> still wondering why it has not done yet.. :-)

I am pretty sure such effort has been started a couple of times in the past.

Maintaining a portable filesystem is not really an easy task though, and
most implementations end up severely limiting the feature set and/or
proving to be incapable of keeping up to date with the upstream
functionality.

Beyond FAT it is difficult to find good multiplatform support for just
about any filesystem. As someone already suggested for just exchanging
files tar is an option.

Pedro.