ZFS weird issue...

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Mon Dec 8 06:15:57 UTC 2014

Will Andrews wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Michelle Sullivan <michelle at sorbs.net> wrote:
>
>> root at colossus:~ # zpool replace sorbs spare-8 mfid8
>> root at colossus:~ # zpool replace sorbs spare-8 mfid15
>> root at colossus:~ # zpool replace sorbs 933862663 1702922605
>> root at colossus:~ # zpool replace sorbs mfid8 mfid8
>> root at colossus:~ # zpool replace sorbs mfid15 mfid15
>> root at colossus:~ # zpool replace sorbs spare-8 1702922605
>> root at colossus:~ # zpool replace sorbs 1702922605 spare-8
>> root at colossus:~ # zpool replace sorbs 1702922605 mfid8
>>
> [...]
>
> I believe you want to replace 1702922605 (the original member that
> used to be mfid8) with mfid15, not mfid8.  According to your 'zpool
> status' output (which I assume is still current?), mfid8 is now a
> different member of the raidz2 than it was previously.  Of the 16
> devices you have, only mfid15 is currently missing, which suggests
> that it's the current name of the new drive.
>
> As you said, it's a brand new drive, so "zdb -l /dev/mfid15" should
> confirm that it has no ZFS labels, and therefore is the correct drive
> to use as the replacement for 1702922605.

Thank you! (that seems to have got it)

root at colossus:/ # zpool replace sorbs 1702922605 mfid15
root at colossus:/ # zpool status -v
  pool: VirtualDisks
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

    NAME                       STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    VirtualDisks               ONLINE       0     0     0
      zvol/sorbs/VirtualDisks  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

  pool: sorbs
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices is currently being resilvered.  The pool will
    continue to function, possibly in a degraded state.
action: Wait for the resilver to complete.
  scan: resilver in progress since Mon Dec  8 07:13:45 2014
        21.6M scanned out of 29.9T at 1.14M/s, (scan is slow, no
estimated time)
        1.37M resilvered, 0.00% done
config:

    NAME                STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    sorbs               DEGRADED     0     0     0
      raidz2-0          DEGRADED     0     0     0
        mfid0           ONLINE       0     0     0
        mfid1           ONLINE       0     0     0
        mfid2           ONLINE       0     0     0
        mfid3           ONLINE       0     0     0
        mfid4           ONLINE       0     0     0
        mfid5           ONLINE       0     0     0
        mfid6           ONLINE       0     0     0
        mfid7           ONLINE       0     0     0
        spare-8         DEGRADED     0     0     0
          replacing-0   UNAVAIL      0     0     0
            1702922605  FAULTED      0     0     0  was /dev/mfid8
            mfid15      ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
          mfid14        ONLINE       0     0     0
        mfid8           ONLINE       0     0     0
        mfid9           ONLINE       0     0     0
        mfid10          ONLINE       0     0     0
        mfid11          ONLINE       0     0     0
        mfid12          ONLINE       0     0     0
        mfid13          ONLINE       0     0     0
    spares
      933862663         INUSE     was /dev/mfid14

errors: No known data errors
root at colossus:/ #

--
Michelle Sullivan