zfs only mounting "root" after reboot

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Sun Aug 17 00:42:49 UTC 2014

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014, Thomas Schweikle wrote:

> I think this shall be mentioned in the FreeBSD handbook, but
> couldn't find any hint to it. Is it a bug with zfs mounting? Is it
> intended to have zfs mounts happen before working on fstab mounts?
> If not, it could be useful to make more clear what happens and that
> you *must* mark filesystems depending on /tmp, /usr or /var to mount
> "late"!

Traditionally, filesystem implementations have not had dependencies on the
presence of other filesystems in the mount hierarchy.  It is completely
unsurprising that the documentation does not cover such behavior.

Do you have notes handy for why fdesc and linproc have such dependencies
and what they are?

Thanks,

Ben Kaduk