RFC: using ceph as a backend for an NFSv4.1 pNFS server

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Wed Apr 30 22:25:04 UTC 2014

Am 26.04.2014 um 21:47 schrieb Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca>:

> Hi,
>
> The non-pNFS v4.1 server in the projects area is just about ready
> for head, I think. However, without pNFS, NFSv4.1 isn't all that
> interesting. The problem is that doing a pNFS server is a non-trivial
> exercise. I am now somewhat familiar with pNFS (from doing the client
> side), but have no expertise w.r.t. cluster file systems, etc.
>
> For those not familiar with pNFS, the basic idea is that the NFSv4.1
> server becomes a metadata server (MDS) and hands out what are called
> layouts and devinfo, so that the client can access data server(s) (DS)
> to read/write the file. There are RFCs that define both block/volume
> (using iSCSI or similar) and object (using something called ODS2).
>
> Although I suspect there are many ways to do a pNFS server, I think
> that building it on top of a cluster file system may be the simplest.
>
> So, this leads me to...
> At a glance (just the web pages, I haven't looked at the source),
> it appears that ceph might be useful as a backend to a pNFS server.

The guys at RedHat probably also believe in its usefulness:

http://www.redhat.com/about/news/press-archive/2014/4/red-hat-to-acquire-inktank-provider-of-ceph

I’m not sure if this will make it harder to port or easier. ;-)

Maybe this is something the FreeBSD Foundation should support?
Of course, someone who can actually pull-off the port (and maintain it) has to come forward first…

That’s actually one of the things I consider the worst outcome: a one-off porting effort that isn’t maintained and can’t really be used in production.