ZFS unable to import pool

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Wed Apr 23 15:10:42 UTC 2014

On 4/23/2014 10:03 AM, Tom Evans wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Karl Denninger <karl at denninger.net> wrote:
>> /*Filesystem based "redundancy" is not a backup strategy!*/
>>
> It's my (home) backup strategy :(
>
> Very few cost efficient ways to backup 15TB+ of data other than
> redundant spinning rust.

I have a large home system as well.

But I do back it up to other spinning pieces of rust, and rotate the
backups out to a bank safe-deposit box.  If I make a terrible mistake
(or my hardware and/or software does) I have a means of recovery.  There
are no guarantees of course in that I COULD wind up with a bad disk in
the safe deposit box, but if my house burns down I have a shot at
recovery with high odds of success -- an act that would otherwise be
impossible.  Partitioning my data off into "essentially archival,
read-almost-only" and "active" means that the former needs to be updated
rarely and the former is of small enough size that I don't go crazy
doing it either in money or time.

And I *HAVE* had things like this happen -- twice in the last 20 years
I've had a disk adapter go insane and scribble on MULTIPLE spindles at
once.  There is no RAID strategy that will protect you against this
event; you either have a backup or you're done.

ZFS actually makes this easier with send/receive and the ability to
import a pool, send to it and then export it.  The backup pool can have
compression turned on where for performance reasons it may not make
sense for the online pool to do so.  And you can rotate that out fairly
easily too; you can take a 2-way mirror, add a third disk and let it
resilver, then split the third one off and remove it, giving you a
dismounted copy you can then stick in a box and yet if you need it --
it's there.

--
-- Karl
karl at denninger.net