ZFS unable to import pool

Jordan Hubbard jkh at mail.turbofuzz.com
Wed Apr 23 14:18:09 UTC 2014

If you added a single disk to a pool, you have no choice but to destroy the pool and start over.  The single disk will essentially degrade the performance of the whole pool, because it represents a unique (100Mb/sec, typical) transaction group now, and if you lose that one disk you will also lose the entire pool since it has no redundancy.

This is a common mistake people make with ZFS, and it sucks, but block pointer rewrite was never implemented so that’s just the way it is, too.  That’s another reason for FreeBSD-based front-ends to ZFS like FreeNAS.  The GUI adds some seat-belts to prevent users from trivially doing things like that.  On the command line, all bets are off.

- Jordan