ZFS unable to import pool

Hugo Lombard hal at elizium.za.net
Wed Apr 23 11:57:29 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 12:18:37PM +0200, Johan Hendriks wrote:

> Did you in the past add an extra disk to the pool?
> This could explain the whole issue as the pool is missing a whole vdev.

I agree that there's a vdev missing...

I was able to "simulate" the current problematic import state (sans
failed "disk7", since that doesn't seem to be the stumbling block) by
adding 5 disks [1] to get to here:

  # zpool status test
    pool: test
   state: ONLINE
    scan: none requested
  config:

	  NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	  test        ONLINE       0     0     0
	    raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	      md3     ONLINE       0     0     0
	      md4     ONLINE       0     0     0
	      md5     ONLINE       0     0     0
	      md6     ONLINE       0     0     0
	      md7     ONLINE       0     0     0
	    raidz1-2  ONLINE       0     0     0
	      md8     ONLINE       0     0     0
	      md9     ONLINE       0     0     0
	      md10    ONLINE       0     0     0
	      md11    ONLINE       0     0     0
	      md12    ONLINE       0     0     0
	  logs
	    md1s1     ONLINE       0     0     0
	  cache
	    md1s2     ONLINE       0     0     0

  errors: No known data errors
  #

Then exporting it, and removing md8-md12, which results in:

  # zpool import
     pool: test
       id: 8932371712846778254
    state: UNAVAIL
   status: One or more devices are missing from the system.
   action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing
	  devices and try again.
     see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-6X
   config:

	  test         UNAVAIL  missing device
	    raidz1-0   ONLINE
	      md3      ONLINE
	      md4      ONLINE
	      md5      ONLINE
	      md6      ONLINE
	      md7      ONLINE
	  cache
	    md1s2
	  logs
	    md1s1      ONLINE

	  Additional devices are known to be part of this pool, though their
	  exact configuration cannot be determined.
  #

One more data point:  In the 'zdb -l' output on the log device it shows

  vdev_children: 2

for the pool consisting of raidz1 + log + cache, but it shows

  vdev_children: 3

for the pool with raidz1 + raidz1 + log + cache.  The pool in the
problem report also shows 'vdev_children: 3' [2]

[1] Trying to add a single device resulted in zpool add complaining
with:

  mismatched replication level: pool uses raidz and new vdev is disk

and trying it with three disks said:

  mismatched replication level: pool uses 5-way raidz and new vdev uses 3-way raidz

[2] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2014-April/019340.html

--
Hugo Lombard
   .___.