Device Removed by Administrator in ZPOOL?

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 11:20:56 UTC 2014

On 04/06/2014 06:06 AM, Karl Denninger wrote:

> On 4/5/2014 8:45 PM, Kaya Saman wrote:

>>> Have you seen any other errors in your logs? Seems like if a drive
>>> fails
>>> there should be some other error message reporting the errors that
>>> resulted
>>> in ZFS marking the drive removed. What does 'dmesg' have to say?
>>>
>>> Once ZFS has stopped using the drive (for whatever reason) I wouldn't
>>> expect you to see anything else happening on the drive. So the light
>>> not
>>> coming on doesn't really tell us anything new.
>>>
>>> Also, aren't 'green' drives the kind that spin down and then have to
>>> spin
>>> back up when a request comes in? I don't know what happens if a
>>> drive takes
>>> "too long" to respond because it has spun down. I have no idea how
>>> FreeBSD
>>> handles that, and I also don't know if ZFS adds anything to the
>>> equation.
>>> Hopefully someone else here will clue me/us in.
>>
>> Ok this is really weird.... just did a reboot and now:
>>
>> $ zpool status
>>   pool: ZPOOL_2
>>  state: ONLINE
>> status: One or more devices is currently being resilvered.  The pool
>> will
>>     continue to function, possibly in a degraded state.
>> action: Wait for the resilver to complete.
>>   scan: resilver in progress since Sun Apr  6 02:43:03 2014
>>         1.13G scanned out of 7.77T at 22.2M/s, 101h57m to go
>>         227M resilvered, 0.01% done
>> config:
>>
>>     NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>>     ZPOOL_2     ONLINE       0     0     0
>>       raidz2-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>>         da0     ONLINE       0     0     0
>>         da1     ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
>>         da2     ONLINE       0     0     0
>>         da3     ONLINE       0     0     0
>>         da4     ONLINE       0     0     0
>>

>> ???? Looks like the drive might have fallen off the controller?
>>
>> Am just looking at the tools for it on the LSI website but there
>> doesn't seem to be anything FreeBSD related.... Linux and Solaris yes
>> but no FBSD?
>>
>> Model is LSI SAS 9207-4i4e
>>
> It looks like the drive detached itself.  I've seen those "Green"
> drives do this before; they go to "sleep" if quiescent, and sometimes
> fail to wake up properly.  The controller then detaches them thinking
> they're dead, but they're not...
>
> I'd get those things off your system.  They work ok for desktop PCs
> but I don't like them in servers.

Thanks for the info..... I didn't want to go for the "Green" variant
either but they seemed to be highest in capacity for 2.5" drives which
is why I really had no choice. I prefer WD Black drives as I've had
really good experiences with them. Guess I'll just have to wait till the
capacity of the smaller drives increases :-(

Regards,

Kaya