Device Removed by Administrator in ZPOOL?

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 01:45:45 UTC 2014

On 04/06/2014 01:28 AM, kpneal at pobox.com wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 01:12:33AM +0100, Kaya Saman wrote:
>> Many thanks for the response!
>>
>> The server doesn't show any lights for "drive error" however, the blue
>> read LED isn't coming on, on the drive in question (as removed from ZPOOL).
>>
>> I will have a look for LSI tools in @Ports and also see if the BIOS LSI
>> hook comes up with anything.
> Have you seen any other errors in your logs? Seems like if a drive fails
> there should be some other error message reporting the errors that resulted
> in ZFS marking the drive removed. What does 'dmesg' have to say?
>
> Once ZFS has stopped using the drive (for whatever reason) I wouldn't
> expect you to see anything else happening on the drive. So the light not
> coming on doesn't really tell us anything new.
>
> Also, aren't 'green' drives the kind that spin down and then have to spin
> back up when a request comes in? I don't know what happens if a drive takes
> "too long" to respond because it has spun down. I have no idea how FreeBSD
> handles that, and I also don't know if ZFS adds anything to the equation.
> Hopefully someone else here will clue me/us in.

Ok this is really weird.... just did a reboot and now:

$ zpool status
   pool: ZPOOL_2
  state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices is currently being resilvered.  The pool will
     continue to function, possibly in a degraded state.
action: Wait for the resilver to complete.
   scan: resilver in progress since Sun Apr  6 02:43:03 2014
         1.13G scanned out of 7.77T at 22.2M/s, 101h57m to go
         227M resilvered, 0.01% done
config:

     NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
     ZPOOL_2     ONLINE       0     0     0
       raidz2-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
         da0     ONLINE       0     0     0
         da1     ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)
         da2     ONLINE       0     0     0
         da3     ONLINE       0     0     0
         da4     ONLINE       0     0     0

???? Looks like the drive might have fallen off the controller?

Am just looking at the tools for it on the LSI website but there doesn't
seem to be anything FreeBSD related.... Linux and Solaris yes but no FBSD?

Model is LSI SAS 9207-4i4e