zfs upgrade hang

Teske, Devin Devin.Teske at fisglobal.com
Sat Sep 21 00:27:50 UTC 2013

Hi,

Seem to be having an issue with "zfs upgrade" hanging.

Please note that "zpool upgrade" seems to be fine... it's "zfs upgrade" that hangs.

The system is 8.4-STABLE @ r255470M amd64.

The dataset versions prior to upgrade are 3 and after upgrade are 5.

It doesn't always hang. But once it does, it's always in the following ^T state:

	tx->tx_sync_done_cv

You can let it sit there for minutes or hours, but it never completes or enters a
different state. Also, you can't Ctrl-C it, you can't Ctrl-Z it, you can't kill it, not even
with `-9'. Further, anything like "zfs list" will hang. All the meanwhile, the filesystem
is readable and fine.

The sure-fire way to hit this for us is to attempt a "-a" or "-r" or "-ra" to do many datasets
at once.

However, doing one dataset at a time will work... until it too leads to the same state.

Once we hit this state (hung upgrade) we have to reboot.

We've been able to get through all the datasets on a box by doing one-at-a-time and
rebooting when one hangs and ends up in this state but it's frustrating because we can
usually only do a handful at a time before hitting the problem.

Scripting it won't help.

Also, we've tried unmounting the filesystems prior to upgrade too, that didn't help.
Updating libraries/binaries to r255747 didn't seem to help either. I guess next step is to
update the kernel to latest stable/8 (which is probably not far ahead of r255470).

Advice?
--
Devin