zfs panic during find(1) on zfs snapshot directory

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 9 17:11:34 UTC 2013

on 09/09/2013 19:22 Andreas Longwitz said the following:
> I would like to know if this panic is a known issue and can give more
> information from the kerneldump.

My personal recommendation is to keep .zfs directory hidden and/or perform only
basic operations on entries under it while ensuring that there is only one
process at a time that peeks there.

The gfs stuff that handles .zfs operations is really very broken on FreeBSD[*].
If you are interested, I have a patch that should some of the mess, but not all.

[*] To see what I mean run several of the following shell loops in parallel:
while true; do ls -l /pool/fs/.zfs/ >/dev/null; done
--
Andriy Gapon