zpool upgrade and lz4 compression.

Vusa Moyo vusa at tuxsystems.co.za
Wed Oct 30 11:03:35 UTC 2013

Greetings all.

I’ve upgraded 2 FreeBSD 9.0 servers to 9.2

FreeBSD qaMKSYSB01.sars.gov.za 9.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE #0 r255898: Thu Sep 26 22:50:31 UTC 2013     root at bake.isc.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

..using the exact same procedure.

On Server 1, I successfully managed to upgrade the zpool’s to the version that supports lz4 compression.

On Server 2, I do not have the option to upgrade the version of zfs.

[root at qaMKSYSB02 ~]# zfs upgrade
This system is currently running ZFS filesystem version 5.

All filesystems are formatted with the current version.
[root at qaMKSYSB02 ~]# zfs upgrade -v
The following filesystem versions are supported:

VER  DESCRIPTION
---  --------------------------------------------------------
 1   Initial ZFS filesystem version
 2   Enhanced directory entries
 3   Case insensitive and File system unique identifier (FUID)
 4   userquota, groupquota properties
 5   System attributes

For more information on a particular version, including supported releases,
see the ZFS Administration Guide.

[root at qaMKSYSB02 ~]# zpool upgrade -v
This system is currently running ZFS pool version 28.

The following versions are supported:

VER  DESCRIPTION
---  --------------------------------------------------------
 1   Initial ZFS version
 2   Ditto blocks (replicated metadata)
 3   Hot spares and double parity RAID-Z
 4   zpool history
 5   Compression using the gzip algorithm
 6   bootfs pool property
 7   Separate intent log devices
 8   Delegated administration
 9   refquota and refreservation properties
 10  Cache devices
 11  Improved scrub performance
 12  Snapshot properties
 13  snapused property
 14  passthrough-x aclinherit
 15  user/group space accounting
 16  stmf property support
 17  Triple-parity RAID-Z
 18  Snapshot user holds
 19  Log device removal
 20  Compression using zle (zero-length encoding)
 21  Deduplication
 22  Received properties
 23  Slim ZIL
 24  System attributes
 25  Improved scrub stats
 26  Improved snapshot deletion performance
 27  Improved snapshot creation performance
 28  Multiple vdev replacements

For more information on a particular version, including supported releases,
see the ZFS Administration Guide.

[root at qaMKSYSB02 ~]# zpool upgrade
This system is currently running ZFS pool version 28.

All pools are formatted using this version.
[root at qaMKSYSB02 ~]#

I think the problem may lie in the

freebsd-update fetch

program.

[root at qaMKSYSB02 ~]# freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 5 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 9.2-RELEASE from update2.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

The following files are affected by updates, but no changes have
been downloaded because the files have been modified locally:
/var/db/mergemaster.mtree

No updates needed to update system to 9.2-RELEASE-p1.
[root at qaMKSYSB02 ~]#

mergemaster.mtree is not something I would have touched.

Any help to resolve the issue will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Vusa