missing files on ext2fs with 9-STABLE

Pete Erickson redlamb at redlamb.net
Fri Oct 25 15:43:09 UTC 2013

I'm missing files on an ext2 filesystem in 9-STABLE. However,
remounting the drive in Ubuntu (12.04.3) the files are back. The
missing files range from a few KB to several GB so it's not based on
the file sizes. While I've found an ugly way past this, I'm trying to
understand why I'm having the problem in the first place.

The ext2 fs was created in Ubuntu (12.04.3) in order to backup approx
1.4 TB from a hardware raid ext4 fs and copy it back once I repurpose
the drives as ZFS in FreeBSD. The ext2 fs is on a gpt-labeled 3.0TB
drive and I used rsync to copy the data. Unfortunately, I'm not
getting any error messages so I have nothing to provide.

FYI, my temp fix is mounting the raw ext2 fs to a ubuntu VM in
VirtualBox and then rsync'ing it the ZFS fs via the virtual network.
While it's ugly, it appears that it'll work. However, I'm hesitant to
destroy the ext4 fs until I'm sure that I have the data backed up.

Any help understanding this would be appreciated.