Urgent help needed, fsck segfault's on a 9.2-RELEASE machine

Shawn Wallbridge shawn.wallbridge at imaginaryforces.com
Fri Oct 18 15:25:51 UTC 2013

On 10/18/13 6:43 AM, "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at berklix.com> wrote:

>> root at mercury:/var/log # fsck -t ufs /dev/da0p1
>> ** /dev/da0p1
>> fsck: /dev/da0p1: Segmentation fault: 11
>>
>> It's running 9.2-RELEASE
>
>Well, taking your word Urgent, & as /dev/da0p1 seems a low disk number,
>maybe the partition housing fsck_ufs is also corrupt ?
>Have you tried running fsck from removable media ie cd/dvd/usb stick ?
>
>Before you do that you might or not, want to copy fsck binary &
>corrupt partitions somewheer to do an autopsy later when you'r back OK.
>

>> (gdb) bt
>
>Hex Ugh, only as last resort, better
>rebuild fsck_ufs with eg CFLAGS += -g in /etc/make.conf or on command
>line.
>
>Good luck
>
>Cheers,
>Julian
>--
>Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich
>http://berklix.com
> Interleave replies below like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".
> Send plain text, not quoted-printable, HTML, base64, or
>multipart/alternative.

Thank you for responding Julian.

I ended up creating a PR and a thread on forums.freebsd.org..

http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=236842

I booted off of the 9.2 CD into LiveCD and had the same issue, fsck_ufs
segfaulting.

After many many hours of troubleshooting (documented in the forum thread),
I ended up using the binary from a 9.0-RELEASE box, which worked fine.

Thank you
shawn

This e-mail is intended only for the named person or entity to which it is addressed and contains valuable business information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you received this e-mail in error, any review, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. Please notify us immediately of the error via e-mail to <ifpostmaster> postmaster at imaginaryforces.com and please delete the e-mail from your system, retaining no copies in any media. We appreciate your cooperation.

...imaginaryforces.com...