Urgent help needed, fsck segfault's on a 9.2-RELEASE machine

Shawn Wallbridge shawn.wallbridge at imaginaryforces.com
Thu Oct 17 03:33:29 UTC 2013

Our fileserver panic'ed tonight, after it came back up, it couldn't
background fsck one of the file systems. I brought it back up by
commenting that filesystem out.

Now I am trying to do an fsck on the filesystem, but it segfaults.

root at mercury:/var/log # fsck /dev/da0p1
fsck: Could not determine filesystem type

root at mercury:/var/log # fsck -t ufs /dev/da0p1
** /dev/da0p1
fsck: /dev/da0p1: Segmentation fault: 11

It's running 9.2-RELEASE

uname -a
FreeBSD mercury 9.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE #0 r255898: Thu Sep 26
22:50:31 UTC 2013root at bake.isc.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
amd64

The filesystem is on a LSI RAID Card, 9750-24i4e. The controller says
everything is fine.

I tried looking at the core file, but it doesn't mean anything to me.

# gdb core fsck_ufs.core
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
are
conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "amd64-marcel-freebsd"...core: No such file or
directory.

Core was generated by `fsck_ufs'.
#0 0x0000000000405cce in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0 0x0000000000405cce in ?? ()
#1 0xffffffff90000000 in ?? ()
#2 0x000000000040ef6b in ?? ()
#3 0x0000000000624e10 in ?? ()
#4 0x000000080061f8cb in ?? ()
#5 0x0000007b7100ff00 in ?? ()
#6 0x00000000000121a0 in ?? ()
#7 0x0000007b00000005 in ?? ()
#8 0x00000000525f4c3b in ?? ()
#9 0x00000000021036a8 in ?? ()
#10 0x00000000525f4c3b in ?? ()
#11 0x00000000021036a8 in ?? ()
#12 0x00000000525f4c3b in ?? ()
#13 0x00000000021036a8 in ?? ()
#14 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
(gdb) quit

This e-mail is intended only for the named person or entity to which it is addressed and contains valuable business information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you received this e-mail in error, any review, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. Please notify us immediately of the error via e-mail to <ifpostmaster> postmaster at imaginaryforces.com and please delete the e-mail from your system, retaining no copies in any media. We appreciate your cooperation.

...imaginaryforces.com...