NFS locks, rpcbind port = 0 failed? - try #2

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Mon Oct 14 20:08:07 UTC 2013

This is a continuation of "9.1 VM nfs3 & locks over VPN" from
freebsd-questions - trying a
different angle maybe it'll jostle someones memory.  Don't mean to
cross-post, but as I pay more attention to the lists I'm reading, this
seems to be the better list for NFS issues.

I have a FreeBSD 9.2 VM at an offsite hosting company.  hostname nl101vpn
OpenVPN is installed on it, routed not bridged mode.
I have multiple OSs installed on local network. I'm already exportings NFS
off 9.1 with working file locks.

What I see -
export nfsv3 or nfsv4 from nl101vpn, mount on local FreeBSD or Linux -
locks do not work.
export nfsv3 from any local system, mount on nl101vpn - locks work.
export nfsv3 from locally installed VM, mount on any local host or nl101vpn
- locks work.  No OpenVPN installed on it though. This was to test if
virtio drivers might be causing the problem.

I even ran a tcpdump to see if something was getting lost - both sides
match, nothing is getting dropped

nl101vpn - /var/log/messages:
Oct 14 12:21:01 nl101 kernel: NLM: failed to contact remote rpcbind, stat =
0, port = 0  (why port 0?)
Oct 14 12:23:02 nl101 last message repeated 109 times
Oct 14 12:25:48 nl101 last message repeated 177 times

I tried binding rpcbind to the VPN interface, but that doesn't seem to
work.  tcpdump shows no packets trying to leave the 'Internet' interface.

So I haven't exhausted every combination, or completely 100% replicated
whats happening offsite, but it's getting pretty ridiculous now... I'm
lost, and I need NFS locking to work.
Help :)

Thanks,
Rick