ZFS: Memory needed for managing L2ARC

Vladimir Sharun sharun at ukr.net
Sun Nov 17 15:27:05 UTC 2013

Depending on average block size cached. In my experience it varies from 0,3% to 5%. If you store lot of small files, consider 5-6%, mostly large files - 0,5%.

Dear colleagues,

are there any "real" estimations on how much memory is needed for having
efficient, say, 1T of L2ARC?  stable/amd64, of course.

I have backup storage server, where pool size is targeted to a few hundreds of
terabytes (currently ~35T), and hot set is usually less than 512G-1T.

quick googling leads to some Solaris/Illumos documents, but even them are not
bright enough in answer that.

Thanks!

--
Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck at FreeBSD.org  ]