dev entries for cloned zvol don't show up until after reboot

Steve Wills swills at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 27 01:22:08 UTC 2013

On 05/24/13 17:56, Steve Wills wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed that if I make zvol, create a snapshot of it, then clone
> that, the /dev/zvol/* entries for it don't show up until after I reboot.
> This is on r250925. Is this a known bug?

To add a bit more detail to this, the steps are:

zfs create -V 1G pool/somevol
ls /dev/zvol/pool # witness somevol entries
zfs create pool/somevol at somesnap
ls /dev/zvol/pool # witness no new entries
zfs clone pool/somvol at somesnap pool/anothervol
ls /dev/zvol/pool # again witness no new entries
reboot
ls /dev/zvol/pool # witness missing entries appearing

I'll go ahead and submit a PR too in case that helps.

Steve