FreeBSD 9-RELEASE zpool Out of File Descriptors ??

Outback Dingo outbackdingo at gmail.com
Wed May 15 12:46:33 UTC 2013

>>> freebsd.org/doc/en/books/**handbook/configtuning-kernel-**limits.html<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/configtuning-kernel-limits.html>>(search
>>> for 'file descriptor')
>>> Or more info in here: https://www.google.nl/search?****<https://www.google.nl/search?**>
>>> q=freebsd+Out+of+file+****descriptors<https://www.**
>>> google.nl/search?q=freebsd+**Out+of+file+descriptors<https://www.google.nl/search?q=freebsd+Out+of+file+descriptors>
>>> >

>>> It mainly says that you have more files open than your system is
>>> configured to allow. This is often produced by a bug in a program which
>>> does not close some files properly.
>>>

>>>  Yes I do.... but this is a brand new zfsonroot with barely any data on
>> it
>> and
>>
>> sysctl -a | grep kern.openfiles
>> kern.openfiles: 68
>> root@:/master/builder # sysctl -a | grep kern.maxfiles
>> kern.maxfiles: 24600
>> kern.maxfilesperproc: 11095
>>
>> the openfiles and maxfiles seems to be plenty, but im out of descriptors,
>> used to see this back in the 4.x days when you could format
>> ufs with larger inodes, but zfs ??? really?
>>

> Is this kern.openfiles when idle or during your buildkernel?
> Did you check 'ulimit -a'?
> You say installworld worked ok while you are just now doing buildkernel.
> Are your kernel and world out of sync?

well, i was upgrading FreeBSD 9-RELEASE to CURRENT, did a make buildworld,
then a make installworld, when i went to do a make buildkernel
thats the error i got, so id say, yes it is "out of sync"

my ulimits are
ulimit -a
cpu time               (seconds, -t)  unlimited
file size           (512-blocks, -f)  unlimited
data seg size           (kbytes, -d)  33554432
stack size              (kbytes, -s)  524288
core file size      (512-blocks, -c)  unlimited
max memory size         (kbytes, -m)  unlimited
locked memory           (kbytes, -l)  unlimited
max user processes              (-u)  5547
open files                      (-n)  11095
virtual mem size        (kbytes, -v)  unlimited
swap limit              (kbytes, -w)  unlimited
sbsize                   (bytes, -b)  unlimited
pseudo-terminals                (-p)  unlimited