NFS Performance issue against NetApp

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Fri May 3 21:11:39 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-03, at 14:01 , Chuck Burns <break19 at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, wait.. you're comparing a jail-over-nfs to.. what? linux doesnt have jails, so you aren't really making a fair comparison here.

Sorry, shoulnt' have mentioned jails … that is the end goal, but I am not using it for this testing … beyond the OS, I have these as close to exactly the same as I can get it …

Linux:

/dev/mapper/vg_server03-lv_root
                      51606140   1467992  47516708   3% /
tmpfs                  8145884         0   8145884   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1               495844     52897    417347  12% /boot
/dev/mapper/vg_server03-lv_home
                     228138292    191696 216357784   1% /home
192.168.1.1:/vol/linux_jboss
                      31876736    328256  31548480   2% /usr/local/jboss-as-7.1.1.Final

FreeBSD:
Filesystem                     1K-blocks      Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/da0p2                      279300632 19730076 237226508     8%    /
devfs                                   1        1         0   100%    /dev
192.168.1.1:/vol/freebsd_jboss   31876712  3570808  28305904    11%    /usr/local/jboss-as-7.1.1.Final
tmpfs                            19282976        4  19282972     0%    /tmp

The only thing running off of NFS is the jboss directory, and both NFS shares are the same size (32G) … I even try and avoid running tests against each at the same time, so that neither are competing for network or netapp resources … not "real world", but I am aiming to minimize any external influences where possible ...