Initial NFS Test: Linux vs FreeBSD (769% slower)

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Thu May 2 17:43:30 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-01, at 18:29 , Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> Oh, one more mount option you could try is "nocto". If the app. is
> repeatedly closing/opening the file, that might explain the repeated
> "write 1 byte; read some of the file"?

cto vs nocto made no difference … but, am doing some compares between oldnfs and nfs … it looks like oldnfs cuts off about 60s from the start time, but want to do a few runs …

Of note, I reformatted the Linux box with OpenBSD (god, what a nightmare its ports system is) and OpenBSD startup times are ~180s … I'd like to know what Linux is doing to get 'near local drive' start up times though, and what risk is associated with it …