filesystems don't properly dismount

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 27 18:41:42 UTC 2013

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013, Velcro Leaf wrote:

> Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
>
>> The default NFS implementation did not change between 9.0 and 9.1.
>> Per the 9.0 release notes, you can change your kernel configuration to control
>> which implementation is used -- NFSCL/NFSD are the "new" versions, and
>> NFSCLIENT/NFSSERVER are the old ones.  Are you running GENERIC or a custom
>> configuration?
>
> It's a GENERIC kernel, and I'm not actually using any networked
> filesystems.  I saw that the NFS stuff happened prior to 9.0-RELEASE,
> but I'm looking for any simple way to change the way filesystems are
> handled to see if it'll stop the ugly dismounts.
>
> I'll make a custom kernel with only the above changes and see if
> anything different happens.

If you don't have any networked filesystems mounted, then I would be very
surprised if changing the version of NFS built into your kernel would have
any effect here.

At this point, I think the most useful information would be the kernel
messages from shutdown time, printed on the console.  Do you have a serial
console (makes this easy)? Otherwise, you may have to take a picture or
video of the machine as it shuts down.

-Ben Kaduk