ZFS question

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Thu Mar 21 11:53:21 UTC 2013

"Reed A. Cartwright" <cartwright at asu.edu> wrote:

> Note that my issue seems to do with an interaction between the CAM
> system and the MPS driver in 9.1.  Thus it is more than likely
> different than what you are experiencing Quartz.

At least from your description it's not obvious to me why the
problem should be caused by an interaction between CAM and MPS
and not by one of the driver-independent ZFS deadlocks.

If you haven't already, you might want to have a look at:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/AvgZfsDeadlockDebug

> Now that ZFS deadman has been incorporated into stable, I'll probably
> give a 9.1 (i.e. 9/stable) another try.

At least on my system the ZFS deadman doesn't trigger in case of
ZFS-internal deadlocks and I don't think it's supposed to either:
https://www.illumos.org/issues/3246

Of course knowing whether or not it triggers in your case could
still be useful.

> Jeremy, I have a question about enabling kernel dumps based on my
> current swap config.
>
> I currently have a 1TB drive split into 4 geli encrypted swap
> partitions (Freebsd doesn't like swap partitions over ~250 GB and I
> have lots of RAM).  These partitions are UFS-swap partitions and are
> not backed by any mirroing or ZFSing.
>
> So, how do I best enable crash dumps?  If I need to remove encryption,
> I can do that.

Crash dumps can be written to any device and temporarily attaching an USB
stick might be more convenient than using one of the "UFS-swap" partitions
which you'll have to recreate afterwards.

Dumping on geli providers should work, but I haven't tested it as I use
one-time master keys for swap.

Fabian